Sunday, November 25, 2012

Little Known Fact about Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving can mean many things to many people.

I am truly thankful for all the wonderful people in my life and all the good things that have happened to me.

I grew up the daughter of a department store merchandise manager and Thanksgiving was the beginning of the Christmas Shoppng Season even back in those days. But I imagine many people do not realize that it took an act of Congress to settle when Thanksgiving should be celebrated.

  • When I was a child Thanksgiving's date was SOME Thursday in November--but no general agreement about which one. Department stores wanted some consistencey, so they asked President Franklin Roosevelt to set a date.
  • In 1940 and 1941 it was celebrated on the THIRD Thursday of November.
  • On October 6, 1941 Congress passed a resolution making Thanksgiving the LAST Thursday of November.
  • In December, 1941 The Senate passed an amendment to the resolution establishing Thanksgiving as the FOURTH Thursday in November,
  • This is the reason that in 2012 Thanksgiving is on the earliest possible date.
  • Won't everyone be surprised NEXT YEAR when Thanksgiving is on the latest possible date?

This year BLACK FRIDAY crept into Thursday's time with some stores opening Thursday evening.. With a week less of the Shopping Season next year, it will be interesting to see what happens.


Did you learn a little history today reading this?
Send me a comment and let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment