Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Love Letter from Dec. 6, 1942

With Valentines Day so close, I want to share a short bit from my novel Too Much Left Unsaid. 

Kathy Hummel had met sailor Josh Connors only ten days before but at the end of their first date Josh sat down to write her a letter. Their second date, Sunday, Dacember 7, 1941, was interrupted by news of a Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the entry of the United States into WWII.

This is the letter and Kathy's reaction to it when she received it the next day:

Monday, December 8, Kathy received Josh’s letter in the afternoon mail. She laughed at his review of every part of their Saturday date.
 Dear Kathy, my dear Katherina,
I love you. Marry me. Think about the fun we had today and multiply that by a lifetime of joy we can have together. I love you. Marry me.
You are my angel and when we settle down to our lives together it will be heaven. I know you think I have said “You’re my angel” to other girls before you but you really are sent from Heaven and I know it! I love you. Marry me.

What a foolish man. Proposing marriage after our first date, Kathy thought.
I’ve never been so happy as I am at this moment. I loved the cold beach walk when we could see clear across Lake Michigan. I could see into our future life together—life in Parkersville. I love you. Marry me.
I'm on leave starting December 28 and plan a trip home. You must come with me and meet Ron and Mattie and the boys and my folks. We’ll tell them we are engaged and making plans for our wedding. I love you. Marry me.
The world is dark now. Hitler’s Germany is itching for a fight, but I don’t think we’ll be in it. I love you. Marry me. I’ll take you to see the world when that conflict is over. We will have a wonderful life together. I love you. Marry me.
Remember the "Our Town." Parkersville will be our town if you only say yes and come there with me. I love you. Marry me.
I know we are older. That just means we are wiser and we have to make up for the years we wasted not knowing each other. I love you. Marry me.

She began to cry as she read over and over, "I love you. Marry me." How could he even think such a wild impossible thing. I know what my life will be and it doesn't include marrying a sailor.
I'll be seeing you in church tomorrow, though you won't have this letter yet. We’ll go to church and then ride out to Oak Park. I’ve heard that the Frank Lloyd Wright houses are everywhere there. We can dream of our house—plan the family we will raise. I love you. Marry me.
How about two boys and two girls? We can start as soon as we tie the knot. I love you. Marry me.
And by the way, I love you. Marry me.
                                                All, all, all my love, Josh.
            P. S. I love you. Marry me.
           
            As she finished Josh's letter, her reserve faltered. Marrying Josh would never work for me; it is too crazy--yet, he was so considerate, and he so wunderbar is.
            Josh's words stirred the feelings she had long kept under tight control. Could he be a Prince Charming coming into her life--one she never expected to meet? To her great surprise, unexpectedly, amazingly, Josh's letter sealed her fate. There was no way to even respond to him until Mrs. Alcott called her to the phone. “It’s that sailor again,” she said. “Should I be worried?”       

            “Not at all,” Kathy told her. “I’m going to marry him.”

Romance is in the air in February. Hope your day is filled with love and joy

Too Much Left Unsaid can be purchased in eBook or paperback format from
 Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or through independent bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment